The Special Populations and Programs Division is responsible for the education, behavioral, and treatment programs administered by the Bureau, including the ACES Program, the Day Reporting Center Program, and the Residential Transition Center Program. These programs provide intensive treatment, education, behavioral modification and supervision for moderate to high risk clients supervised by the Agency.
Director – Rebecca Bensema
Rebecca Bensema has served as the Division Director of Special Populations and Programs for the AL Bureau of Pardons and Paroles since March, 2018. She began her career with this agency in September, 2001 as a Probation and Parole Officer. She was promoted to Probation and Parole Officer Senior in December, 2005. She was promoted to Probation and Parole Manager of Special Populations and Programs in September, 2016 and served in this position until her promotion into her current position.
While working as Probation and Parole Officer Senior, Ms. Bensema was also an instructor for the Life Skills/Parent project at the Dale County Resource Center from June, 2013 until September, 2016. She was an Adult Education instructor at Wallace Community College from February, 2015 until September, 2016.
Ms. Bensema graduated from Wallace Community College in 1998 with an Associate of Science degree. She graduated from Troy State Univesity (Dothan) in 1999 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice. She did post graduate studies at Troy University (Troy), graduating in 2004 with her Master of Science degree in Criminal Justice.
Function of the Division Director:
1. Develop policy and procedure for all Day Reporting Centers in the state.
2. Develop policy and procedure for all transition centers in the state.
3. Assist executive staff with the development of a long term strategic plan.
4. Participate in the interview and selection process of new employees.
5. Oversee the promotion of various programs conducted by the agency.
6. Assist executive staff with development of agency policies and procedures.
7. Train, supervise and rate the performance of all managers within the division.
8. Implement and verify deliverables outlined in contracts for treatment providers ensuring program fidelity.
9. Implement and verify deliverables outlined in memoranda of understanding for program providers ensuring program fidelity.
10. Oversee lease agreements for all established Day Reporting Centers.
11. Review violation reports submitted by Day Reporting Centers and L.I.F.E. Tech for Bureau review.