Pardon - FAQs

A request for a pardon can be made by writing the Bureau of Pardons and Paroles at P O Box 302405, Montgomery AL 36130-2405. The request should include all of the following information: 

1)     Name under which convicted 
2)     True Name 
3)     Sex and race 
4)     Date of birth 
5)     Social Security Number 
6)     AIS# (Alabama Prison number), if you have one 
7)     Current physical address including county 
8)     Current mailing address, if different 
9)     Indicate if the conviction was a State or Federal Conviction 
10)   Home telephone number 
11)   Work telephone number, if you have one 
12)   Complete list of charges, county(s) of conviction and year(s) of conviction. 

Once a request is received, it will be assigned to a probation officer for the completion of an investigation.

The investigation will include current information on the applicant’s home situation, job status, and an updated criminal arrest record, written references and other information as warranted.

Once the investigation is complete, a hearing will be set before the Pardon and Parole Board.

Required notification will be sent to the victim, certain officials in the jurisdiction of the conviction, and the applicant. Once all required parties are notified, a hearing will be held before the Pardon and Parole Board and a decision will be made to grant or deny the pardon request. 


Alabama does not expunge records for felony convictions. The arrest and conviction will continue to show up when a criminal history is run. It is important to keep a copy of your pardon in case it is ever requested. 

Not necessarily.

The Board may grant a full pardon, which restores all rights, or they may grant a pardon with restrictions. The Board may restrict the right to possess a firearm and/or they may require that a person convicted of a sex offense continue to comply with all sex offender restrictions. They may also not relieve an offender of the consequences of the habitual offender act. The Board has the discretion to place other restrictions as deemed appropriate. 

Yes, if the sentence is complete.

A pardon with restoration of civil and political rights may be granted to applicants who reside in Alabama. If the applicant resides in another state, we recommend that they apply in the state of residence. A pardon from Alabama on a federal case is only good in Alabama.