Interstate Compact - FAQs

While serving in a penal institution a few months before parole, an inmate is interviewed by a Correctional Counselor or an Institutional Parole Officer and the application process is begun at that time if the inmate indicates he desires placement out of state.

There is an active compact agreement with 49 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Only Massachusetts is not part of the Compact.

An applicant must agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the sending state and the receiving state.

The compact provides for travel that is job related, under certain conditions. The supervising officer will make that determination based on the Compact rules, and issue the necessary travel permits.

Only to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. There are no provisions to allow travel to any country.

Only after the receiving state has had a opportunity to investigate the proposed home and job and has given their permission.

The sending state determines the length of supervision (their court or parole board), and the offender is supervised until a discharge is received from the sending state.

The individual through his/her probation or parole officer.