The Special Populations and Programs Division is responsible for the education, behavioral, and treatment programs administered by the Bureau, including the Alabama Certain Enforcement Supervision Program, Day Reporting Centers, Day Reporting Center Lites and other programs. These programs provide intensive treatment, education, behavioral modification and supervision for moderate to high risk clients supervised by the agency.
Rebecca Bensema | Division Director of Special Populations
Rebecca Bensema has served as the Division Director of Special Populations and Programs for the Alabama Bureau of Pardons and Paroles since March 2018. In this role, she oversees all operations of Day Reporting Centers, Day Reporting Center Lites, Alabama Certain Enforcement Supervision and other programs.
She began her career with this agency in September 2001 as a Probation and Parole Officer. She was promoted to Senior Probation and Parole Officer in December 2005. In September 2016, she was promoted to Probation and Parole Manager of Special Populations and Programs. She served in this position until her promotion into her current role.
While working as a Senior Probation and Parole Officer, Bensema served as an instructor for a grant-funded project through Children’s Trust Fund of Alabama at the Dale County Resource Center from June 2013 until September 2016. She was an adult education instructor at Wallace Community College from February 2015 until September 2016.
Bensema graduated from Wallace Community College in 1998 with an Associate of Science Degree. In 1999, she graduated from Troy State University at Dothan with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice. Her education continued with post graduate studies at Troy University. In 2004, she graduated with her Master of Science Degree in Criminal Justice.
Function of the Division Director:
1. Develop policy and procedure for all Day Reporting Centers and Day Reporting Center Lites in the state.
2. Assist executive staff with the development of a long-term strategic plan.
3. Participate in the interview and selection process of new employees.
4. Oversee the promotion of various programs conducted by the agency.
5. Assist executive staff with development of agency policies and procedures.
6. Train, supervise and rate the performance of all managers within the division.
7. Implement and verify deliverables outlined in contracts for treatment providers ensuring program fidelity.
8. Implement and verify deliverables outlined in memoranda of understanding for program providers ensuring program fidelity.
9. Oversee lease agreements for all established Day Reporting Centers.
10. Review violation reports submitted by Day Reporting Centers for Bureau review.